fireag

New LAFD engines

27 posts in this topic

I've heard pierce won the engine bid. Any info on a timeline for when the rigs will start production?

From past contracts & experience, the new Pierce Engines will hit the stations in about a year or a little more than a year. Once they are built, they come to the shops, inspected and tested. Then to the radio shops, then hit the field.

JNP is right. they'll be on the street between next summer and the end of 2017. Seems like squad 21 should be up for replacement. Their call volume increased dramatically since the move to 21s and being the only fully manned squad in the city.

Cancelled the remaining KME's.

Really, that is interesting. Guess LAFD weren't happy?

Kind of odd since KME was awarded the contract in 2013 for 11 more engines (not sure how many were delivered)

the time frame for delivery is much longer than that, currently pierce is running about  14 to 16 months from the time the rig gets put on the production line to blue floor, factor in  holiidays , parts shortages, production line stoppage for rigs to be pulled off . once they hit the blue floor for final inspection, any changes, additions or problems  noted will add time in Appleton. once city accecpts the rigs, they have to schedule them to be driven cross country from wisconsion to California, where they will be delivered to south coast equipment in Ontario ca, once there depending on how busy they are (south coast covers all of so cal and usually has anywhere from 30 -50 rigs there for different things) more service work is completed, if problems cannot be corrected there they go back to wisconsion. when completed  then they get delivered to the shops where they can sit for additional time until they have time to work on them.  just look at the new trucks and   see how long it has taken to get them right and in service

I was driving to Las Vegas back in May and I saw several semi trucks with fire engines and so single frame trucks on trailers going the opposite direction not sure what department they were for or what make. Do sometimes they are trucked out?

Who's the department that took a retired TDA and took the ladder off and converted the trailer into a USAR or heavy rescue?  I cannot recall but memory might suggest the tractor was a Seagrave.  Not a bad idea when you are trying to cut costs down and want great storage capacity in the box. 

The Orange City Seagrave TD Heavy Rescue, was NEVER an aerial. Orange City spece'd that rig like that , and built as such. Purchased brand new by Orange City F.D.

Many departments have gone with the tractor trailer combination for their Heavy Rescue/USAR rigs including Pasadena, LA County, Alhambra, and El Segundo Fire Departments.

I'm not sure LAFD cancelled the contract but from what I knew it was only a 5 year deal with the option to extend. Does anyone know the specs for the new engines. I'm curious as to what chassis they may choose. I'm sure you guys have notice a lot of departments have been going with the Impel, Dash, or PUC.

I am sure la city will be going with the arrow xt just as the did with the previous engines.  from a use standpoint the impel does not hold up as well as  the xt. pierce no longer makes a dash model, the stopped production of them back in 2008. there is a dash cf model which is kind of a recreation of the original arrow from the late 70-80's but is quite expensive. as for the puc , I don't think la city would buy off on them because of the way city does not use pre connects, but pulls the amount of hand line needed and connects it to a discharge on the pump panel

The Pierce Arrow XT was designed with LAFD in mind. Basically designed to their spec. The original literature with the prototype was an LAFD spec engine.

If the can meet the specs and be the lowest bidder than yes lafd would buy seagraves again.

Many departments have gone with the tractor trailer combination for their Heavy Rescue/USAR rigs including Pasadena, LA County, Alhambra, and El Segundo Fire Departments.

Forgot to mention Long Beach as well

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, mr.ranger said:

If the can meet the specs and be the lowest bidder than yes lafd would buy seagraves again.

that probally won't happen as seagrave has priced themselves out of the market. several departments that used to be loyal to seagrave are now going to other makers because they are to expensive

2 hours ago, joeyk48 said:

that probally won't happen as seagrave has priced themselves out of the market. several departments that used to be loyal to seagrave are now going to other makers because they are to expensive

I wouldn't be surprised if Seagrave in the coming years go the way of the Do do  like American La France

FDNY recently ordered a bunch of Seagraves from what I heard and are going back to Seagraves so I wouldn't doubt that Seagrave will be going out of business in the near future.