Casey

New LAFD USAR 88

36 posts in this topic

Where is the old one going? I take that the new US&R 88 has similar specs to the previous one..

I believe 89 is going to get the hand me down and the current USAR 89 will become a dedicated reserve USAR rig.

Interesting to see the red lens light bar different from the clear lens ones they been using also the front flood lights are different from ones they have been using.

those light bars are reversible, they are all red on one side, you can flip it around and it is all clear like the engine companies. there are a few departments that have tried them both ways

Looks like Both sides of the lens are red

That's Whelen Freedom bar. They are not two sided. Clear or red. Clear lense have a red LED light as the red lense.

No white lights in the light bar smh. I prefer the light bar on truck 9 and 29. The 2 white lights in the light bar makes a big difference in visibility.

Just my opinion.

I agree 'EMT_FS46'.  It's amazing what a few white LED lights can do to increase recognition during day and night.  The new AMR medic rigs serving now in El Cajon (Heartland), have a combo white/red LED's and it really catches your attention compared to the all reds.  Recall one of the manufacturers of light bars/lights, once had something called a STINGER.  I think the white lights are like stinger lights, it stings the eyes enough to get motorists attention. 

I believe they removed the white light from the light bar as they have two white lights below the windshield.

Another new Pierce LAFD US&R 88.  Lightbar and Rear View Mirrors now matches new Trucks and Engines from Pierce.   

37748788406_546451c658_b.jpg

They really sent it back to replace those parts? I figure that could been done at dealer in Ontario did they do anything else? 

39 minutes ago, mr.ranger said:

They really sent it back to replace those parts? I figure that could been done at dealer in Ontario did they do anything else? 

No this is a brand new Unit.  

can anyone confirm this is a brand new rig and. It a pic the someone photo shopped. 88s current rig is only about a year old.

6 minutes ago, Rescue51 said:

It is in Pierce's own Flickr account, so it is must be a new delivery.

I concur with that as the shop numbers are different. The one delivered last year was number 29279, and the most recent one has the number 31012. Also, the numbers directly above the cab doors are different. So this leads me to believe that they are two different rigs. Does this mean that the old USAR units (27 and 89) are being replaced with the 88's previous rigs?

I would think that USAR 3 would get a new rig before 27s and 89s. But I can see 88s last 2 rigs going to 27s and 89s. I wonder is squad 21 will get a new rig next.

Edited by EMT_FS46

So because 88s is 88s,they get first dibs on new USAR rigs? I can see why that would be the case, just curious as to how the flow down works. 

10 hours ago, was2wuz said:

So because 88s is 88s,they get first dibs on new USAR rigs? I can see why that would be the case, just curious as to how the flow down works. 

I think it’s because 88’s is the only fully staffed USAR (the others are cross-staffed). 

Now we can have some ready reserve USAR'S that would definitely be useful when we have our big earthquake and when the Olympics come to LA in 2028.

11 hours ago, h_par202 said:

I think it’s because 88’s is the only fully staffed USAR (the others are cross-staffed). 

Never knew that, this makes complete sense. thanks