firepost

Las Vegas Truck (Tower Ladder) 3 is relocated

21 posts in this topic

I understand that as of June 17th, Truck (Tower Ladder) 3 was relocated to Station 8 and now is Truck company 8. Apparently the fire administration saw that there was a Truck Coverage gap on the east side of Town so they decided to relocate a Truck company there to better cover the area.

Edited by firepost

This happened awhile ago...probably close to a year.  They swapped CBRNE 8 and Truck 3 (Now CBRNE 3 and Truck 8).  GIves them better truck coverage on the East side of town and the CBRNE is now stationed with the Haz Mat team.

Edited by Mesquite5010

Truck 9 is now Truck 43, Water Tender 43 is now at 9 and the truck companies are beginning to go ALS with truck 43 being the first one (aside from 1 and 7) today. The other trucks will soon follow.

Are there any plans to actually put any additional Truck companies in service because if I'm correct the so called new Truck companies are really relocated companies that are changing their identities? Wasn't Truck 4 also relocated several years ago to become another Truck company? Are there any plans to put an Engine in service with Truck 7 yet?  If I'm right there are still only 6 Truck companies in service, or are any of the Trucks actually new companies?

Which Truck company did former Truck 4 become? Thanks.

At this point in time there are no plans to add additional truck companies, the department is relocating the logistics warehouse (currently old station 6) to a old Metro Police warehouse down the street from the training center. With the old station 6 (currently named station 103) the department wants to put a rescue there and possibly battalion 10 (so there is a supervisor). This doesn't sit well with many people and the union is fighting to put an engine company there. No talk about an engine at 7 since the truck has pumping capabilities and hose (certainly not the ideal result but it's what the department has to live with at the moment). Old truck 4 went to truck 48 once that station opened. As of now there are 4 engines on order from Smeal and 6 rescues on order from Road Rescue with Chevy chassis. All new engines and rescues are in the early stages (those that have been started) and at the moment since it's a long ways away from delivery there Is not word on which units will be replaced. The busier engines that make the most sense of being replaced at Engines 201, 3, 43 and 106 since they are in '00, or '01 pierce quantum's and run a lot of calls. No word on trucks being replaced and word is the next set of units to get replaced will include the Air resource which- side note, has been relocated to station 45.

Thank's Cadet. That's a surprise that the new Engines on order are not from Pierce which is what Las Vegas had been ordering Pierce products for quite a while now. What brand chassis and cab will the Smeal Engines be built on?

Since the subject is on the Las Vegas Fire Department I was wondering what the normal response are on some of the more common calls such as a structure fire. On the structure fire dispatch and response does Las Vegas always send the same amount of apparatus or does it  vary as to if it is a single family dwelling ,versus an apartment building and a commercial structure. Does LVFD or the Clark County Fire Department have a separate response policy for High Rise buildings such as Hotels on the strip.

Who normally is given the RIT (rapid intervention team) assignment, the third engine? Or if it is a working fire does the commanding officer have to call for a working fire response and a RIT company gets sent after the call is confirmed to be a working fire? Thanks again. 

Edited by firepost

At this time the engines are on the spartan chassis but that's as much as I know on that subject. On building fires there are different levels (low, medium, high and commercial) low is mainly for a fire that's out or report as very minor and that gets the closest engine truck and battalion chief. Medium is rarely used but it's still technically a type of response but every fire in a building now is automatically a 'high' response (usually if there are reported smoke and flames and multiple callers). This will get 4 engines, 1 truck, 1 rescue, 2 Battalion chiefs, CBRNE 3 or Heavy Rescue 44 (depends on where in the city the fire is will dictate which unit goes), air resource 1 and EMS 1. The rit assignment is always given to heavy rescue or CBRNE due to them being specialized and on every fire. That may change due to their response time. As for commercials that will be a high rise assignment which is the same for every department in southern Nevada- 5 engines, 2 trucks, 2 rescues, 2 battalion chiefs, CBRNE or Heavy rescue, air resource and EMS 1. County, North Las Vegas and Las Vegas run automatic aide so they all try to keep their response configurations similar to each other.

firepost likes this

Thanks for the information Cadet. While you mentioned that the CBRNE sometimes will function as the RIT company I was wondering if the CBRNE company is basically what would be called a Hazardous Material Unit but perhaps with some additional equipment? I was also wondering if the the CBRNE unit can also function as a Heavy Rescue unit or is it's function  basically a manpower unit with the added responsibility of being a CBRNE unit.

There aren't that many fire departments that have a CBRNE company whose sole function and identity is that of being a CBRNE company. In most cities and fire departments they have Haz Mat companies which would probably function as CBRNE companies if necessary. 

The CBRNE is staffed with 4 members at station 3. Station 3 is one of 2 Haz-Mat stations. Also at 3 is Haz-Mat 3, this unit is cross staffed with engine 3's crew. Basically what I have been told that from a Haz-Mat view the CBRNE goes on terrorism related calls and the Haz-Mat goes on accidental spills and releases type calls (Im thinking there's more too it). The CBRNE since it is fully staffed and like the Heavy Rescue doesn't have a set response district it is all to respond to fire calls. The CBRNE only has Haz-Mat related equipment as well as forcible entry tools and RIT equipment. They do carry a small amount of extrication tools and have a 300 gallon tank and 1 3/4" hose for small fires.

firepost likes this

The CBRNE is staffed with 4 members at station 3. Station 3 is one of 2 Haz-Mat stations. Also at 3 is Haz-Mat 3, this unit is cross staffed with engine 3's crew. Basically what I have been told that from a Haz-Mat view the CBRNE goes on terrorism related calls and the Haz-Mat goes on accidental spills and releases type calls (Im thinking there's more too it). The CBRNE since it is fully staffed and like the Heavy Rescue doesn't have a set response district it is all to respond to fire calls. The CBRNE only has Haz-Mat related equipment as well as forcible entry tools and RIT equipment. They do carry a small amount of extrication tools and have a 300 gallon tank and 1 3/4" hose for small fires.

Thanks I was wondering about how the CBRNE company was run. It is surprising to  me that the HAZMAT company is cross manned and that the CBRNE isn't as I would have figured that the HAZ Mat company would be used more then the CBRNE company.

Yes, unfortunately in this day in age the CBRNE unit can be more beneficial than the Haz Mat at times but unsure if the Haz Mat will get staffed at some point.

If you look at their website cbrne has first in response in most of southern Nevada and believe into Arizona/California. Same for their arson and hazmat.

Edited by mr.ranger
mr.ranger likes this

That is correct. Since Clark County Fire disbanded their Technical Rescue Team and Haz-Mat Team it has put more work on Las Vegas' teams. The good thing is that Henderson Fire now has both a Technical Rescue Team and Haz-Mat team (both are cross staffed). These will help reduce calls for City fire.

Wow!I didn't know CCFD got rid of technical rescue and haz mat! Why? What happened to the apparatus?

I too am surprised that Clark County would disband their Technical Rescue and Haz Mat team,considering not only the size of the County but also because the strategic assets and hazards within the jurisdiction of the Clark County fire department such as the the "Strip" with their hotels and resorts as well as the Airport. As the bulk of today's strip is actually located with municipal Clark County as opposed to Las Vegas proper ,disbanding both units seems almost unthinkable.

Were the Technical and Hazardous Materials Units in Clark County also cross manned or were they dedicated units?

I would assume that they were crossmanned and if a unit is cross manned then it really shouldn't be that much of a financial burden as the crews would be from an already existing fire company anyway. I do remember that the Technical Rescue Unit in Clark County was this large Tractot/Trailer type of Heavy Rescue Squad.

I know that Las Vegas Proper has a Class One ISO rating but didn't the urban area of Clark County also have a Class One rating as well at one time?  I know that the Clark County fire department currently has a Class 2 rating within the urban areas that are covered by the paid department . Were they downgraded or am I just mistaking what I had thought was at one time to be a Class One rating of  Clark County with that of Las Vegas proper?

LVFR is receiving 6 new Demers rescues within the next month, it'll take approximately 1 month to place them into service. So far they will be going to Rescues 201, 2, 204, 5, 45 and possibly 48. There is also a possibility (if the budget allows) for 2 more rescues to be purchased later in the fiscal year. Smeal is still building the engine companies at this time, delivery is supposed to be November (2 months behind schedule). They should be going to engines 201, 3, 106, 41, and possibly 47 and 48 (not confirmed as of yet since its several months away).

Rescue 103 is supposed to be going into service in the near future. Not sure where it will be placed (5, 10 or another station nearby). Station 103 is old station 6 and is currently the logistics warehouse. The warehouse will be moved to the current Metro police warehouse downtown. Once Metro moves and the LVFR warehouse moves in the city will remodel 103 and move an engine and rescue into it. The time frame continues to change and as of now the city only gave funding for a new rescue. The engine would be engine 6 but there is still a good possibility that there will be funding soon for a new engine to be created. If engine 6 leaves the department will take current truck 6 out of service (either send it as a reserve or replace an older truck) and put a reserve quint at 6 so there is a fire suppression unit (the city did the same to station 7 when station 107 opened). This is all preliminary info that is most likely going to change many times before its set in stone.

Do you know why they stop purchasing Pierce Quantum's ?  The Smeal's won't last as long

as the old Pierce's are.     

What I've been told is that Smeal was able to meet the departments expectations for a lower cost than pierce. We'll see how the Smeal's hold up.

In Metro Phoenix most lower tier apparatus mfg. needs to be replaced within 5 years 

Edited by GilbertFIRE