619Emergencys

El Cajon AMR Deal

10 posts in this topic

EL CAJON — El Cajon is contracting out more of its paramedic services with a private company.

The City Council unanimously agreed last week to an expanded deal for five years with American Medical Response Ambulance Service Inc. for transporting patients to hospitals.

As part of the contract, AMR will pay the city nearly $1.5 million over five years. The city also anticipates overall savings based on a decrease in personnel costs, capital costs, such as fuel, and for vehicle upkeep.

Read the entire article here

Edited by 619Emergencys
Rescue51 likes this

I think this makes good $ense.  I think years ago the city should have implemented a triage system through dispatch at Heartland to downgrade calls of which they assigned private ambulance services (on rotation, or a contract with a primary good EMS company), to keep ALS rigs from FD available.  The other thing that makes sense is stop using the truck (T6 or T11) on all the code runs for first-responders where someone needs a taxi service for a headache.  And then figure out how not to use all the FD assets for psych calls (5150's).  

I think this makes good $ense.  I think years ago the city should have implemented a triage system through dispatch at Heartland to downgrade calls of which they assigned private ambulance services (on rotation, or a contract with a primary good EMS company), to keep ALS rigs from FD available.  The other thing that makes sense is stop using the truck (T6 or T11) on all the code runs for first-responders where someone needs a taxi service for a headache.  And then figure out how not to use all the FD assets for psych calls (5150's).  

I couldn't agree any more.

Also M440 took a call today in El Cajon, I don't believe there are currently any AMR rigs in the area with this unit number, I'm guessing this is the 3rd medic that will be in El Cajon with the new contract, not sure why its numbered 440, I thought the units were going to be numbered 436-439.

Rescue51 likes this

Looking at PulsePoint M438 is no longer a 12HR unit, they are now 24HR and have replaced M8, M440 is now the 12HR unit at station 8, the only fire medic left for Heartland is M9.

Rescue51 likes this

Will Santee and Lakeside still cover El Cajon when no medics are available or will AMR respond rigs of their own?  And vise versa, will AMR cover Lakeside or Santee when they have no medics available (doubtful). 

Edited by Rescue51

Maybe with AMR now in El Cajon, maybe we will see a triage system put into place through Heartland because AMR units will come cover El Cajon when those AMR units aren't available.  El Cajon used to downgrade calls only when the Medic unit felt like they could handle it alone. 

I believe there is still an agreement with Santee, El Cajon, and Lakeside to still use the closest Medic unit.  Because it would not make sense to wait for an AMR unit to come from Chula Vista to El Cajon for a transport when the CSA Medics are available.  

Rescue51 likes this

Thanks '619Emergencys'.  I saw Medic 9 rolling on calls Monday+Tuesday, but figured not much longer.   Do you know how the AMR supervisor coverage works, how many supervisors or what is her/his area of responsibility.  Speaking of El Cajon, I believe T6 is back over at 6's and not housed at 9's any longer.  I suspect they were doing some remodeling in 6's rig bay areas. 

Thanks '619Emergencys'.  I saw Medic 9 rolling on calls Monday+Tuesday, but figured not much longer.   Do you know how the AMR supervisor coverage works, how many supervisors or what is her/his area of responsibility.  Speaking of El Cajon, I believe T6 is back over at 6's and not housed at 9's any longer.  I suspect they were doing some remodeling in 6's rig bay areas. 

I haven't seen or heard anything on any AMR supervisors, I would imagine with 4 AMR units in El Cajon there would be some sort of supervisor covering the area if needed and T6 is currently out of service again and E206 is in service at station 6.