GilbertFIRE

Peoria New Rosenbauer Commanders

46 posts in this topic

Peoria;s New Rosenbauer Commander Engines show be delivered  

in the next week or 2   and should be going to E192 E193  & E195  

They've been in service a while, but here're some photos...

Engines 192 and 195 are identical, so here's 195's (the front numbers have subsequently been changed to solid black)

IMG_0279.JPG

Here's 193's, also identical except for the Hazmat markings on the rear roll ups.

IMG_0277.JPG

Peoria has another Commander pumper on order, plus a Commander 100' MMT.  Should be in sometime this year.

54 minutes ago, GilbertFIRE said:

I guess they like getting new pumpers every 4 or 5 years

I think it's lots of hard City miles (and in the case of 195, long runs into the far north).  The 2010/11 era Spartan/Rosenbauer rigs formerly at 192 and 195 have something like 200k on them... In fact, all 3 went straight to reserve because the 2005 ALF at 196 and the 2007 ALF at 197 had less miles and were actually in somewhat better condition.

Edited by Jwimig

39 minutes ago, Jwimig said:

I think it's lots of hard City miles (and in the case of 195, long runs into the far north).  The 2010/11 era Spartan/Rosenbauer rigs formerly at 192 and 195 have something like 200k on them... In fact, all 3 went straight to reserve because the 2005 ALF at 196 and the 2007 ALF at 197 had less miles and were actually in somewhat better condition.

Low bid - period. There is a reason they are called Rosenjunkers.

3 hours ago, SKFD_Chf1900 said:

Low bid - period. There is a reason they are called Rosenjunkers.

Just my observations and certain inside information.  I try to avoid "this manufacturer, that manufacturer" debates, it's not why I participate in these forums.

Manufacturer means nothing.  It's all about cost. KME was supposed to be junk but obviously stepped up their game as  L.A.County's whole fleet is KME. Avondale, Goodyear jumped on board. Buckeye has Sutphens. Those are east coast rigs. Pierce is obviously king of the hill but unless you buy in bulk, you're going to pay a pretty penny.Smeal is really popular with urban interface departments. Money talks these days.

Peoria has 9 Rosie's currently (2010 (x2), 11, 12, 13, 14, 16(x3)), with another pumper, a MMT, LT and a Tech Rescue under construction.  I'm just not hearing anything bad... (dammit, I violated my own rule about not getting caught in a Manu. topic)

Just now, buckeyefyrfoto said:

Manufacturer means nothing.  It's all about cost. KME was supposed to be junk but obviously stepped up their game as  L.A.County's whole fleet is KME. Avondale, Goodyear jumped on board. Buckeye has Sutphens. Those are east coast rigs. Pierce is obviously king of the hill but unless you buy in bulk, you're going to pay a pretty penny.Smeal is really popular with urban interface departments. Money talks these days.

Goodyear just ordered 3 Smeal engines & Chandler just ordered a Spartan/ERV engine for new station  2811 

Edited by GilbertFIRE

Seems to me like Pierce is losing ground in the Phoenix Metro area.

The recent consolidation (mergers & acquisitions) should shore up apparatus manufacturers so we don't see another ALF bk11.  Example, KME & E-One now own by the Rev Group.  Smeal & Spartan recently merged (think Spartan bought Smeal).  I once was against mergers because I saw so many fail, cultures collided, and owners/boards/investors, were more interested in quick profits versus an enduring company.  But in the fire apparatus builders, I believe these recent mergers will be good for all, and a bunch of people will keep jobs/paychecks.  The Pierce rigs are great, but as  'bucleyefyrfoto' said, they are expensive machines...not to mention build-times might be much longer too.  In the early 2000's Lakeside FD (east of San Diego) started taking deliveries of KME's to replace their Pierces.  The shop guys said KME was "Keep Mechanic Employed".  The rigs had an extensive code lighting package (before LED's) that had many rotating halogen lights,and as was the case with the El Cajon KME's,  the rigs were burning-up alternators way too fast.  The alternators selected for KME's pumpers could not handle the load.  So replace alternator with same one the specs called for and you burned it up again and rig goes out-of-service.  I think someone figured out to go to a better and even more heavy duty alternator.  Many other of those same rigs still in reserve status are getting those code lights replaced with LED's which dramatically decreases the amperage draw.  Lakeside has replaced the KME's with Smeals, and I think are very happy with the Smeals (urban interface).  Riverside has many Smeals, they are happy.  The KME's as another mentioned, are now L.A. County and seem to hold up well at price points more attractive than Pierce.  Alpine FD not long ago took delivery of a KME (after having purchased 2 prior KME's), E17.  I believe the rig is very unique and customized where precise build plans were agreed upon.  I believe Alpine FD got the attention they wanted from KME, and so far seem satisfied with their 3rd KME ship.

Buying fire rigs from which manufacturer is yes an objective and number-crunching process, and often constrained by budget/financing available, but sometimes it's just plain old political and with biases we have.

2 hours ago, E0001 said:

Seems to me like Pierce is losing ground in the Phoenix Metro area.

Who have they lost?

The east valley is all Pierce. Phoenix is going to Pierce. And you got those a bit farther out (CG, Maricopa, Florence) that are Pierce too. 

Just now, legos.8ty7 said:

Who have they lost?

The east valley is all Pierce. Phoenix is going to Pierce. And you got those a bit farther out (CG, Maricopa, Florence) that are Pierce too. 

Last month at the Goodyear City Council meeting. The City Council asked the Goodyear Fire Chief why they are already replacing 3 4 year old KME Fire trucks with 3 Smeal fire trucks and why they are not purchasing Pierce Fire Trucks, because Pierce was suppose to be the sole mfg of fire apparatus for Goodyear untill you became Fire Chief,  The Fire Chief said Pierce didn't Bid,  PS, Back 4 years year The Fire Chief told the City Council they that the KME Fire engines were high quailty at a bargin price . He's already in hot water over not building  Fire Station 186  in Estrella Mountain Ranch yet    

Edited by GilbertFIRE

Just now, legos.8ty7 said:

Who have they lost?

Then their's Casa Grande, Colledge, Eloy, Gila River,

19 hours ago, Jwimig said:

Peoria has 9 Rosie's currently (2010 (x2), 11, 12, 13, 14, 16(x3)), with another pumper, a MMT, LT and a Tech Rescue under construction.  I'm just not hearing anything bad... (dammit, I violated my own rule about not getting caught in a Manu. topic)

correct mfg means nothing. But $$$$ does. You must be talking to the wrong people and I won't name anyone in particular. Same thing applies to KME. Think about why a dept makes only 1 purchase of a KME and either never goes back or it will be years before they do. Yes they are a east coast rig and well LA gets low bid too.

thats all and I am out..

pierce is still going strong, almost all of the city departments in orange county ca are now pierce,  several large cities back east are now going pierce. they have become quite expensive to purchase a single unit unless you piggy back on an order with multiple agencies. I was told they don't always bid due to the fact that they are so backlogged with orders