41engine41

CHP

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, not been on for a while but have a couple if questions about CHP if thats ok.

Do the CHP run a paramedic program, and if so are they dispatched as paramedic resource to ems incidents?

How many units would a CHP base put out at a time, say west valley, they have a huge area. Are each patrols area assigned by freeway or locality??

What tours do they start and finish on?

Thanks guys. I am an ex firefighter now serving ems in the UK so any questions please feel free.

Regards

JT

CHP has 1 flight officer/paramedic on each of their helicopters. Their primary purpose is law enforcement but do respond traffic collisions and rescue type situations in rural areas. Usually, medical helicopters are the primary transport of all patients but CHP can and are used when needed.

Not an answer to your question but my understanding at one time (and my ex-girlfriend was CHP officer and now with a local agency) all CHP officers are EMT's.  Is that still the case?

CHP is strictly a law enforcement aganecy, they do have H-10 that has a paramedic. It respondes to rescues in central sierras when other rescue copters are not available. Their patrol officers are either emts or first responders.

Generic is correct. They are typically configured for patrol with a seat in the front left position. Pilot sits front right. In order to transport they would have to remove the front left seat. The patient lays on their back, feet forward extending to where the seat was.

Their A-Star aircraft are also equipped with a hoist for rescue operations. These situations would require a trained firefighter to assist.

CHP Helicopters are generally all ALS and they have a paramedic response unit at the state capitol.  

CHP helicopters do a lot of transports/hoist rescues in the desert, eastern sierras, and Nor cal.  If you look at the Inyo County sheriff FB page they use the Fresno copter a lot.  I'm not sure they always need a firefighter to assist (and often they respond without someone on the ground), but they often work with various other agencies.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15926220@N02/8729281941/in/album-72157622566029556/

And a story on a rescue that went wrong a couple years ago: http://www.jems.com/articles/2012/06/chp-helicopter-crewmember-critically-inj.html

I think the officers are mostly trains as EMR's not and are not always fully EMT trained.