Seagrave7

LAFD LAX Rosenbauer ARFF

40 posts in this topic

Nice looking rig is the first of 4 to come? are the older rigs from lax gonna be sent to van nuys airport? Don't they have really old rigs too?

Correct this is part of the first order of 4. The last 2 will be about ~6 to 8 months behind as they were ordered in 2015 vs part of the first order in 2014.

Edited by Seagrave7

2 will be going to Van Nuys and one is suppose to go to 51's from what I heard don't know if this is true and also are all the crash rigs going to be 6 by's including the Rapid intervention vehicle or is the Rapid Intervention Vehicle going to be a 4 by.

I understand all 6 will be assigned to LAX. 4 at 80's 1 at 95's and 1 at 51. But again since it wont fit at 51's. Is LAX and LAFD still considering building a new mega station incorperating ST95 and 51?

all 6 will go to lax , one of the rigs currently at 80 will go to van nuys

Really surprised they didn't get the large arff trucks, like the E-Ones. With all those large jumbo jets flying in there, larger makes more sense. All of Phoenix's arff trucks are the large ones, and their airport is much smaller than LAX.

Hi Bbuckeyefyfoto, I agree.  I am a bit surprised the contract went to Rosenbauer for ARFF/CFR only because Oshkosh and E-One have rigs that I believe are more proven from time.  The smaller rigs may have been a selection due to a more rapid response time, given weights, though you'll have less water supply when you arrive. 

I'm sure when it came to bid came down to who could do it cheaper. Although I do remember they had some problems with previous order that went to Ontario I believe which part of LAX world airports.

That looks to be a 3000 gallon tank on each of those rigs. Based on that LAX will more than exceed the FAA minimum for water.

The minimum requirement is ....

(e) Index E. Three vehicles—

(1) One vehicle carrying the extinguishing agents as specified in paragraphs (a)(1) or (a)(2) of this section; and

(2) Two vehicles carrying an amount of water and the commensurate quantity of AFFF so the total quantity of water for foam production carried by all three vehicles is at least 6,000 gallons.

Yes there will be additional staff at 80's and it will be interesting to see how much room will be left at 80's with 6 crash rigs and the stairs unit.

Any one know how Burbank likes theirs?

Considering all front line BUR ARFF are Panthers, I'd say they like them.  The Stryker is now in reserve status.  

23675166262_f0f47e37ac_c.jpg

Wonder if the Airport Authority will ever build a new fire station at Burbank Airport. This station has been there, since Lockheed stopped ARFF service there, and left altogether.

Fewer crash rigs as well at Bob Hope Airport in comparison to the amount of crash rigs that Lockheed had at that time.

Yes there will be additional staff at 80's and it will be interesting to see how much room will be left at 80's with 6 crash rigs and the stairs unit.

If I recall correctly 80's was staffed with a Captain II, Captain I, Engineer, 3 A/Os and 8 FFs. Is this still the case? Any word on the ranks of the additional staff and riding assignments?