Rescue51

LAFD's New Pierce Tillers

253 posts in this topic

ok guys, for anyone who has never worked on an apparatus committee. the delivery date given is not set in stone there are a lot of factors that come into play , such as part shortages, production delays, holidays and workload. you don't need to be a genious to know that pierce is a very popular apparatus maker, not just here in so-cal but across the country.  when you factor in delays in Appleton,  then the rigs need to be driven cross country to so -cal and delivered to south coast in Ontario , where the warrenty work is done, if you've never been to south coast , they have around 30-40 rigs there from across so-cal at any given time for all kinds of work. the new rigs have to be worked into the service bays as they become available along with the already in service rigs there for dealer work. once the dealer completes their work the rigs are delivered to la city shops, to be prepped,  training, radio's and this all has to be done , while the shop mechanics must continue to work on the other units there to get them completed and back in service. all this can back up an in-service time as much as a few months.

Casey likes this

2nd LAFD Tiller done at Pierce.  Back to the white ladder.

post-18-0-08699700-1465483582.jpg

Why doesn't LA buy quints?

Why doesn't LA buy quints?

Because all trucks are assigned to a light force, with the exception of Truck 9. Each light force consists of an engine and a truck. Therefore, there is no need for the truck to carry water or hose.

Because all trucks are assigned to a light force, with the exception of Truck 9. Each light force consists of an engine and a truck. Therefore, there is no need for the truck to carry water or hose.

I understand that but I was just thinking if they would buy quints they could do away with the light force system because then the truck would be able to handle anything.

Not true. A Quint can only carry as much equipment as weight is allowed. Quints cannot carry all engine co equipment or truck co. Therefore you loose something. Quints are heavy and repairs are more often than a standard truck or engine. With a Light Force you have a complete Truck and Engine Co. LAFD tried a rearmount and Tiller Quint. Never again!

x635 likes this

Doesn't sound like first truck is going in service anytime soon.  Talked to a supervisor at the shops and there is still a long warranty list of items for Pierce to fix.  Also sounds like there are issues will compartment doors not sealing properly.  They said that this first truck was delivered to south coast back in December.  Going on six months now?

x635 likes this

last I heard from my neighbor who is a lafd mechanic, there is a lot of warrenty work to do on the rigs that have been delivered, his best guess was September-October time frame.  water guy maybe you can confirm this

I hear there are a total of 4 rigs completed and at Ontario. Have their assignments been determined yet?

On 10/10/2016 at 5:26 PM, mikesaccount said:

Have any of the Pierce Trucks arrived at the shops?

Only one has been delivered to shops.  Others are still at Pierce Ontario pending warranty repairs.  Lots of warranty issues.  I was told that once original warranty items are taken care of, then LAFD will allow for delivery of the others.  First truck will be ONE YEAR OLD this December and still not in service.  $1,000,000 fire truck already a year old and never been put into service.  Tax dollars at work.  David Goldstein would have a field day with this.  A supervisor at the shops told me that these trucks were ordered in 2014.

I drove by 88's yesterday and saw the first Pierce with the gray ladder numbered T11.  I didn't stop to ask any questions, but I saw it parked in the back.

Has Truck 11s gone to the station yet

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, pump305 said:

Yes

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, michael said:

I drove by 88's yesterday and saw the first Pierce with the gray ladder numbered T11.  I didn't stop to ask any questions, but I saw it parked in the back.