Rescue51

LAFD's New Pierce Tillers

253 posts in this topic

Random but just curious as to why LAFD doesnt use the white light in the light bar like on the ALF trucks on all vehicles. 

The light bars on the LAFD rigs in general are horrible. It looks like just one big red light at a distance. They should add red lenes like Glendale Fire. Those light bars look good.

res51cue likes this

The combo light bar with red and white LED's are the best.  Many agencies go all red, and I believe you add safety when you do combo red/white, which really gets your attention. 

res51cue likes this

now that the first truck is in So Cal, where is it/ the other pierce trucks going to be assigned? Trickle down of older trucks?

saw it at the shops the other day. No radios or station numbers. big rig. looks well designed minus how high the aerial sits when bedded. But im sure thats a pierce problem.

that is not a pierce problem. look at any other pierce tiller and the ladders all sit down low in the rear near the tiller cab, this is done for better visability. when lafd spec'd these rigs  they must have asked for them to sit up higher in the rear. will have to look at the blueprints to confirm

If you look close its the same disign as the American LaFrance. The only difference is the ladder sitting a little high. LAFD approve the rig so we'll just have to wait and see after this 1 hits the street if the guys like it or not.

I've heard the first rig is going to 11's... does anyone know the trickle down for their old rig?

When are the other trucks being delivered?

Is there a list of where those new trucks are going?

Yes, the first Pierce is going to St11. I also heard that the other trucks will have white aerial's. To many complaints on the gray color. 11,s are scheduled to receive it next month.

Yes, the first Pierce is going to St11. I also heard that the other trucks will have white aerial's. To many complaints on the gray color. 11,s are scheduled to receive it next month.

Wonder what the complaints are against the gray color.

Also odd that it got assigned to Truck 11. Truck 9 is (or was) the busiest truck company, you would think this tiller would be assigned there first. 

I hope that the information that you heard is correct about the white aerials because even though the new rig looks good ,overall, the gray aerial sticks out like a sore thumb and the white aerials just look better ,considering that the rest of LA's fleet uses white aerial ladders.

Speaking of Ladder (Truck) companies has there been any talk of LA city putting any of the 7 Trucks back in service that were taken out of service during the recession? I know that the LA fire department really took some severe cuts with 7 Trucks (Light Forces) and 11 Engines taken out of service.I know that about 3 Engines have been put back in service with the most recent one being 209 so I was hoping that perhaps they have may have plans to at least put one or two Light forces back in service or is that just wishful thinking?

My info came from a Capt at St11. I asked about any Trucks or Lightforce returning any time soon. He hasn't heard of any at this time. Only the engine company's. On a side note.. I see the new Heavy Rescue is on the way to LA.

LAfan26 likes this

Who is the mfg. of the new Heavy Rescue

it;s not a heavy rescue, it is a usar rig, I think pierce is the builder and it is the same as the current usar 88

Heavy Rescue and USAR are two different rigs. We are talking about the new HR 56.

correct , there is another thread relating to the heavy rescue with pics, It sounded to me like they were asking about the new usar unit being built

Not yet, they're barely starting to arrive at the LAFD shops and are starting to be worked on before going out in the field so it will be a while before they are placed in service.

Got say that pretty quick turn around