JNP

San Francisco FD green lights

17 posts in this topic

I noticed in a video of a SFFD apparatus with a green light. What is the significance of the light.

Hmm I've sometimes seen them on security vehicles but never on fire vehicle. I believe In some states volunteers use them when responding. In California all emergency vehicles are post to use red for fire and red/blue for police vehicles. And security/Utililty use Amber. Can you provide the link of where you saw it.

Edited by mr.ranger

Don't quote me but I believe it distinguishes the truck compinies vs engine companies . Trucks have the green light

Don't quote me but I believe it distinguishes the truck compinies vs engine companies . Trucks have the green light

Hmm interesting one would think it be easy to tell difference between engine and truck??? A truck only got giant ladder and engine doesn't. Don't mind my sarcasm btw

Edited by mr.ranger

San Fran Truck Companies do have one forward green light, not sure if it is just a take off of Chicago FD or if it is as spartan says about distinguishing trucks from engines

Interesting.  I did not know about the green lights.  I believe some agencies will use a green light usually taller than other lights to signal that the vehicle it is on is a command type or rehab rig.  I've noticed over the years, at an airplane crash scene with the many rigs, the command vehicle stands out with the green light.  A pumper or truck with green light is not going to be a command rig so don't know why they are doing that in SFO area.

I've seen the SFFD green light. I had thought it was just a single shipment of apparatus, after which they decided they didn't like it. Only green light I've seen in CA (only blue light was Southern Inyo FPD, which appeared to have taken delivery of an old vehicle from NV).

Good thread.

Edited by California Red

The new trucks they have purchased recently also have the green light up front

Read on another site that the green light was to signify a truck from an engine like Spartan said, when a truck gets on scene of an incident at night its supposed to be easier for the incident commander to distinguish it from an engine.

If IC needs a little green light to differentiate between a pumper and truck, maybe IC/BC needs his/her eyes checked.  :P

Howdy!

I was curious why the SFFD has the Green light as well.

And I thought Chicago FD is only FD on the US that has Green too but no I read somewhere the FD is discontinuing the Green lights for blue.

(Similar to what FDNY & Boston FD doing with Blue lights in the back of their Engines, Ladders, Etc)

See ya!

I know here in CA., the only agency (legally) allowed with blue lights is law enforcement. However, the LAFD did receive a waiver from DMV/CHP for a blue light on the Emergency Air vehicle. When they arrive onscene, the blue light is activated so firefighters can see where the unit is located.

The smaller 3rd Axel is required by CA law. To be compliant with vehicle weigh laws.

We have the green lights on our trucks here to designate just that - a truck company. Many can speculate that one should be able to tell the difference between a truck and an engine but now lets factor in that this City is made up of a bunch of hills. This City also has alot of fog. You get a rig parked in front of the fire building on the crest of a hill with a mixture of fog and smoke at 0200, you'll appreciate the fact that with a split second glance, youll be able to tell what type of rig that is [ 2 rigs pulling up head on at the same time in smoke, fog, and darkness ya gotta make sure you give space for the engine to take that spot in front of the fire building ]. Hope this helps.

WDHO

Rescue51 likes this

Lafd crash rigs have green light on top of rig one in front and one in back the also had small flashing blue light on front back bumper.

Edited by mr.ranger