Rescue51

Pumper/patient transport combo

24 posts in this topic

New River Falls, Wisconsin pumper with patient transport capacity in the rig.  By Pierce.  Photo credit goes to Pierce/Flickr.  In the late 1980's Santee FD, which at the time was very progressive, acquired a massive E-One Hurricane that they were planning on using for this very concept.  They never did.  I am not in favor of this concept though there are agencies utilizing it.  I think it is silly to take an expensive fire rig out-of-service to do patient transports.  If Ebola were to make a rise again, do firefighters want to be riding in an engine that has been used to carry sick patients.  Do fire chiefs want to see their expensive assets off-line for decontamination?   I am glad Santee FD never followed-up again with this idea of carrying patients in fire apparatus. 

post-42-0-35638800-1442867979.jpg

Not sure where photo credit goes, think Duane who works (worked) for AMR.  But this was the former Santee E4, the Hurricane E-One purchased in late 1980's destined to be a combo pumper/patient transport apparatus.  They never used it for that purpose.

post-42-0-57841200-1442870381.jpg

Hmm interesting rig wonder what looks like inside patient area.

the nfpa 1901 is making patient transport engines a requirement in the next few years for any department that does bls/als service and that does not have their own transport. this wil mostly affect departments on the east coast and mid west  .most west coast depts. as well as the bigger cities  in the country have their own transport systems

the nfpa 1901 is making patient transport engines a requirement in the next few years for any department that does bls/als service and that does not have their own transport. this wil mostly affect departments on the east coast and mid west  .most west coast depts. as well as the bigger cities  in the country have their own transport systems

Do you know that website is a satirical website? 

The "Call the Cops" website doesn't do real "news." That story is made up....

This is another agency using the engine/patient transport combo.  This is a new Pierce and photo credit goes to Pierce and their Facebook page.  I do not like this concept.  BAD!  UNLIKE! 

post-42-0-58745700-1443129702.jpg

I agree bad idea for urban areas but I can see it being handy in area remote locations where ambulances are long ways away or they may not have resources. For my agency (national park service) many of our own locations we have are extremely remote and operate on call outs much like volunteer agencies. So when some thing does happen some grabs the rig and responds with who ever else is their at time while every one else meets at scene. We often have to airlift out or meet county rig and transfer patient. I might add this for structure, heavy rescue responses, Medicals in smaller/med sized parks. Our larger parks have full staffed ambulance and heavy rescue rigs.

I agree bad idea for urban areas but I can see it being handy in area remote locations where ambulances are long ways away or they may not have resources. For my agency (national park service) many of our own locations we have are extremely remote and operate on call outs much like volunteer agencies. So when some thing does happen some grabs the rig and responds with who ever else is their at time while every one else meets at scene. We often have to airlift out or meet county rig and transfer patient. I might add this for structure, heavy rescue responses, Medicals in smaller/med sized parks. Our larger parks have full staffed ambulance and heavy rescue rigs.

sorry guys , it's a true story and coming to a city or town near you . orange county has been trying to do this for about 5 years now. there are several agencys in oc scrambling to get their program in place before the deadline

sorry guys , it's a true story and coming to a city or town near you . orange county has been trying to do this for about 5 years now. there are several agencys in oc scrambling to get their program in place before the deadline

Please post a link to an actual fire department that talks about this happening.  That link you provided us was to a website that creates fake articles.  I have not heard of this happening down here in San Diego.

LKSENG3, I have not heard of this happening in San Diego except for Santee's bright idea back in the late 1980's, maybe early 90's.  I sure hope this concept does not happen.  I think the idea of using a complex and expensive fire apparatus for patient transports is a terrible idea.  I don't even like the pumpers running to hospitals to pick-up FF/medics after a trauma or acute MED run.  Uber is the way they should do it, or have some support unit in Heartland that does that kind of stuff. 

Edited by Rescue51

I think he is just trying to stir the pot here and it's not appreciated. NFPA is not law. Departments can do whatever they please and I find it very hard to believe departments will do this. 

The rigs are very real....I know that for a fact. The story and NFPA requirement are not. Call the Cops is a satirical website. The more outrageous the better.....and it's not even April Fools Day.

NFPA is not a requirement, They are recommendations or "best practice" as some call it. Far from a law, regulation, or rule.

sorry guys have been on vacation for a few days. i apologize for the article , it was sent to me from a friend on the east coast and had no idea it was a fake article. I posted it when I saw the first post of the transport engine and thought it tied in to it. as for ems being privatized, that is something that is being talked about here in orange county.  for those of you who don't know , we have a oc board supervisor named john moorlach, who has been pushing to take ems away from the fire departments in orange county and give it to a private entity. at first it didn't get much support and was just floating around out there. however as city budgets continue to get tighter  , there has been more talk about it.  I know that costa mesa and Newport beach are now doing their own transports and know of at least 3 other cities looking at it or in transition. these cities feel it will be harder to privitize it  if they are doing it all

Mesquite5010 likes this

I know Palo Alto Fire Dept (CA) has Pierce engines that does transport.

I believe the only FD in the state that does so.

(Not sure of other FDs in CA that does)

Hope this helps

I'm waiting for the super engine that will be a pumper, ladder, rescue, patient transport, wildland 4x4, water tender, dozer, HazMat, bomb squad, battalion chief, command rig, and PIO, all within one rig.  Just think how much money could be saved?   The possibilities are endless! 

Palo Alto had, one time many years ago, two engines built by Hi-Tech that could transport.  They were never used to transport for a variety of reasons and are long gone from their fleet.  They currently run regular old Pierce engines with a fleet or regular old ambulances.

I know Palo Alto Fire Dept (CA) has Pierce engines that does transport.

I believe the only FD in the state that does so.

(Not sure of other FDs in CA that does)

Hope this helps

I believe that it is Woodside Fire Protection District in San Mateo County that you are referring to. They have a older Pierce Rescue built on a Enforcer or Dash chassis  that is capable of patient transport. To my knowledge it has not been used in this manor. Palo Alto FD has a fleet of Pierce Arrow engines and reserve older Pierce's that are do not have patient transport capabilities.They run ambulances that transport.

Mark