old medevac

why we refer to fire units with plural or an "s"

5 posts in this topic

as long as i have been around (to long to mention ...) all have refered to fire departments unit numbers as; for example 111's  88's with an S added to that unit . does anyone know why or how this came about? the reason i ask is someone asked me . i never thought about it always accepted thats the way things are . just courious !!

as long as i have been around (to long to mention ...) all have refered to fire departments unit numbers as; for example 111's  88's with an S added to that unit . does anyone know why or how this came about? the reason i ask is someone asked me . i never thought about it always accepted thats the way things are . just courious !!

I always thought it was the possessive "S", as in 88's engine or 111's quarters.

It may be a west coast thing, I know guys working back east where station numbering is different and they talk about work at "Seven Truck" or "32 Engine".  It kinda al depends where you worked, Calfire folks in some parts of the state have station names vs numbers,  when I worked in redding, even though all stations had a number, guys would talk about when they were at "Palo Cedro" or "Burney", folks over the years have developed a shorthand when speaking to people they work with.