Cadet

Las Vegas New Engines

23 posts in this topic

LVFR has now awarded their bid to Smeal fire apparatus to build 4 new engine companies. They should be on the streets this time next year and should look similar to the engines out there already (with some modifications).

They get 4 Smeal engines for the price of 2 Pierce Quantum engines  

I wonder if they will over build/spec them like Henderson did on there new ones 

What I've heard is LVFR rigs will continue to look like fire engines and not what the Henderson rigs look like... We shall see

Last I heard the rigs are several months late, supposed to be delivered in February but we shall see. No word on where they will go, many rumors of rigs throughout the department switching stations to reduce wear and tear on them but we'll see if and when that happens.

Just talked to a friend and was told that starting this month LVFR is rotating apparatus in order to reduce wear and tear on rigs due to the department being unable to purchase new units as often as they are supposed to. Run stats came out recently and after the department inputted their new response plan 12/2015 the engines and trucks are running many more calls with rescues running less. SO it appears the department is attempting to put a bandaid on a problem they created. I guess we'll see how this works since many of their engines are over 15 years old and now may be going from a slow station to a busy one... and their shop is very short staffed. Also, new department logos are going on units soon and there is no 'ISO Class One' written on it which either means the department doesn't think it'll be able to keep the cert or it just doesn't care...

I wouldn't hold my breath, department vehicles are beginning to get the new logos on the doors, not sure if the 'wonderful' block lettering will appear on the engines and trucks.

My guess is no on the CCFD basic fleet. On any engines for the vol.

stations, they have bought Ferrara engines in "08 and "10 for volly stations

If you read the comments on LVFR Facebook the department states that Pierce did not bid on this batch of engines.

The engines are very nice, clean interior, good space in the compartments. Two engines are at the shop currently with the other three on the way. Hopefully they run well. On a side note, old truck 9 (quint) recently returned from being refurbished and will be sent to Truck 7 after new decals and testing takes place. Current truck 7 will go to truck 6 with current truck 6 going to truck 8. Within the next few weeks all engines and trucks will be rotating to attempt to reduce wear and tear on rigs.

Mesquite5010 likes this

At this time 106, 201, 43, unsure what the other 2 are, possibly 3.

They haven't been sent out yet, still at the shop, starting today all Spartacus are rotating throughout the department in an 'ATTEMPT' to reduce the wear on rigs. Haven't heard anything official but the smeals should be out on the street within the next few weeks.

Engines 4 and 201 are now in service with Smeals.

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

That's a pretty high hose bed if you ask me. 

Ya, talking to a few members there are some things that will take getting use to, can space is great, most of the compartments are well thought out, captains seat is a little small but for the most part the crews are happy with them, we'll have to give it some time to see how well they hold up and perform.

x635 likes this