Rescue51

New LAFD Nurse Practitioner unit

12 posts in this topic

I've been a longtime advocate of finding better solutions on the many medical aid calls, rather than routinely dispatching expensive fire apparatus rigs like the trucks.  Didn't SDFD just begin a new program with the "quick response" units (pick-up trucks)?   El Cajon FD is using AID-6 at an EMT level response unit though dispatchers do not triage the call at Heartland, the initial responding paramedic units must assess patient then request AID-6.  Years ago Heartland did have a call rotation to the various approved EMT/BLS companies that they would dispatch at request.

This is an interesting concept LAFD is beginning.  The article about it is here:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-nurse-practitioner-fire-department-20150408-story.html

Here is a rig getting ready for the road, photo credit to LAFD.

post-42-0-67010600-1440518062.jpg

Edited by Rescue51

I will research that for you, but according to LAFD, they said this unit will be placed in service later this year in "south operations bureau".  Maybe a rover? 

the city of Anaheim started the same program about 2 months ago , in co-op with care ambulance but same goal in mind to reduce the response of fire units to non emergency calls

What is going on with the Fast Response Units, are they still going to be placed in service?

I think one of those fast response units just went into service for SDFD.  I just don't know which station house.

In regards to SDFD's fast response unit. Squad 55 went into service July 1, 2014 at 6135 Imperial Ave in the Encanto area. The unit is housed alone from 8AM-8PM by a FF/PM and a FF. A second squad is supposed to be put into service late September or October in south University City.

In the past LAFD has never had FAST RESPONSE UNITS. There will now be 2. FR1 and FR2. 2 brush patrols reassigned. place is unknown at this time.

Only one Nurse Practitioner Unit.  Will be stationed at FS 64.  Will operate 10 hours per day, 4 days a week.

Edited by waterguy

There is only one Fast Response Vehicle for LAFD.  It will be covering Battalion 1 and 11.