Xplorer4x4

LAFD Dodge RA Siren?

12 posts in this topic

I see the new Dodge RAs are using the EQ2B. Sometimes there is another tone mixed in besides the horns and yelp. What siren or function is this?

the last batch of rescues as well as the latest kme engines all have a new electronic siren. it kinda sound like the ferdal signal smart siren like LAPD but high pitch or it could be a whelen siren. LAFD rescus have also had the EQ2b for some time now going back to the ford days.

So is the smart siren gonna be the standard electric siren for all new and future LAFD Apparatus only? or is all the newer apparatus eventually going to be upgraded with the smart siren also?

Yeah i knew Of Truck 10 having the smart siren, that's why i was asking about the upgrades on other apparatus, and i saw the you tube video of R51 the other day.

thanks for the info.

The firefighters I've worked with don't use the EQ2B that much. They have just used the electronic siren for years. Just get in and press one button and go. The EQ2B is a great tool. I like using the yelp with the EQ2B and yelp with the motorola head. It sounds like something from outer space.

That's too bad - that Motorola siren tone has been the signature wail/yelp calling for the LAFD since they switched over to the 800mhz radio system in 1990. Now there's really no way the distinguish LAFD from anyone else at a distance.

RA51 along with the new KME engines have the Motorola H1615 siren control head attached to the radio; did Motorola come out with a new siren driver?

Yes they did. However it sounds the same

the siren was changed starting from the 2013/2014 models and you right. from a distance I can not tell the difference from a LAFD unit vs aLAPD unit until I hear the airhorn or the EQ2B.

How come they went to the EQ2B on the RAs instead of the good ol fashion Qs or the old Timberwolfs?

@EMT_FS46 thanks for the link to the vid for 51. Didn't realize they had a new Dodge already!

The "Q"'s draw too much power and the timberwolf's were junk. The Q2B is the way to go. I wish they would put them on the Engines & Trucks. But on the other hand...I'm retiring in a month.