scalradio

San Diego City Trucks

21 posts in this topic

Truck 1 is a Crimson TDA and I believe most of the other truck's are rear mount non platform aerials.

from my San Diego Fire roster:  not perfect because some older units were probably nmoved to less busy stations

when the 2012 Rear Mounts were put in to service: the Spartan/LTIs are probably in reserve now?

Truck #

Make

Capacity

Year

Address

Crimson

100’Arl

“06

Pierce

105’RM

“12

Pierce

105’RM

“06

Pierce

105’RM

“12

Pierce QT

105’RM

“06

Pierce

105’RM

“12

KME

75’QT

Pierce

105’RM

“12

Pierce

105’RM

“07

Pierce Dash

105’QT

“05

Pierce QT

105’RM

“06

Spartan/LTI

100’TL

“89

Spartan/LTI

100’TL

“89

Pierce

75’QT

1s has been running an older Spartan/LTI(?) TDA with the white cab in front line service. Whenever that rig is out a 75' rear mount is used. Also the other day I saw what I believe was the 2006 Crimson TDA at the shops.

from my San Diego Fire roster:  not perfect because some older units were probably nmoved to less busy stations

when the 2012 Rear Mounts were put in to service: the Spartan/LTIs are probably in reserve now?

Truck #

Make

Capacity

Year

Address

Crimson

100’Arl

“06

Pierce

105’RM

“12

Pierce

105’RM

“06

Pierce

105’RM

“12

Pierce QT

105’RM

“06

Pierce

105’RM

“12

KME

75’QT

Pierce

105’RM

“12

Pierce

105’RM

“07

Pierce Dash

105’QT

“05

Pierce QT

105’RM

“06

Spartan/LTI

100’TL

“89

Spartan/LTI

100’TL

“89

Pierce

75’QT

There are some people on this site who I'm sure have more detailed and accurate information then I do ,but I can tell you that the 1989 Spartan/LTI Tower Ladders have not been regularly assigned to an Ladder or Truck company for quite a few years and I'm not even sure that any of them are still in the reserve Fleet. The Pierce Snorkel that had been assigned to Truck 14 until they received their Pierce several years ago was being used as a Reserve Piece but what little I know is a few years old and dated so I can't even say if the rig is still around.

The list that you are using is severely dated and inaccurate. Ladder 43 and 41 haven't been in service for quite a while (like the 1990's). When Ladders were last assigned to stations 41 and 43 they were "jump" companies which meant that if the Ladder rig was needed the Engine crew would become the Ladder company and the Engine would go out of service.

I don't know if "Rescue Kujo" still gets on this site or not , because on the old EMT Bravo west site from a few years ago he was a major blogger on San Diego's emergency services  and there were some post's on San Diego's Truck companies that I had started and Rescue Kujo was able to supply information on. When the old EMT Bravo West was temporarily closed for several months, many of the older postings and San Diego's fire apparatus were either deleted or erased.

I am not personally aware of a 75 foot Pierce Quint in San Diego however the KME one I am familiar with and there had been 4 Spartan/Saulsbury/LTI 75 foot rear mounted (single rear axle) Ladders from the  1990's that had been assigned as Truck companies until they were replaced by the newer Pierce 105 foot Aerial Ladders. Some of them may still be around as spare Ladders. San Diego also did have 4 Tower Ladders from the late 1980s however I know that the oldest one and probably most of the others were gotten rid of several years ago. I don't know if any of them are still on the premises but their last assignments which were in the late 1990's were at Trucks 10 and 28 and at Trucks 41 and 43 as "Jump companies" . I would be surprised if any of them are still around. Perhaps the Snorkel that was assigned to Truck 14 is still around?

In recent years (meaning the late 1990's ) Trucks 1 and 35 had been assigned TDA's (Tillered Aerial Ladders) however I know that when Truck 1 received their new one in the early 2000's they were having problems with it and it was sent back to the dealer for work.   Apparently it looks like Truck 35 is using a rear mounted Aerial these days. It appears that San Diego has gone for a more or less standardized fleet of Engines and Trucks which makes things simpler and more cost effective.

I'm sure that there are people on this site that have much more up to date information then I do.

Edited by firepost

There are some people on this site who I'm sure have more detailed and accurate information then I do ,but I can tell you that the 1989 Spartan/LTI Tower Ladders have not been regularly assigned to an Ladder or Truck company for quite a few years and I'm not even sure that any of them are still in the reserve Fleet. The Pierce Snorkel that had been assigned to Truck 14 until they received their Pierce several years ago was being used as a Reserve Piece but what little I know is a few years old and dated so I can't even say if the rig is still around.

The list that you are using is severely dated and inaccurate. Ladder 43 and 41 haven't been in service for quite a while (like the 1990's). When Ladders were last assigned to stations 41 and 43 they were "jump" companies which meant that if the Ladder rig was needed the Engine crew would become the Ladder company and the Engine would go out of service.

I don't know if "Rescue Kujo" still gets on this site or not , because on the old EMT Bravo west site from a few years ago he was a major blogger on San Diego's emergency services  and there were some post's on San Diego's Truck companies that I had started and Rescue Kujo was able to supply information on. When the old EMT Bravo West was temporarily closed for several months, many of the older postings and San Diego's fire apparatus were either deleted or erased.

I am not personally aware of a 75 foot Pierce Quint in San Diego however the KME one I am familiar with and there had been 4 Spartan/Saulsbury/LTI 75 foot rear mounted (single rear axle) Ladders from the  1990's that had been assigned as Truck companies until they were replaced by the newer Pierce 105 foot Aerial Ladders. Some of them may still be around as spare Ladders. San Diego also did have 4 Tower Ladders from the late 1980s however I know that the oldest one and probably most of the others were gotten rid of several years ago. I don't know if any of them are still on the premises but their last assignments which were in the late 1990's were at Trucks 10 and 28 and at Trucks 41 and 43 as "Jump companies" . I would be surprised if any of them are still around. Perhaps the Snorkel that was assigned to Truck 14 is still around?

In recent years (meaning the late 1990's ) Trucks 1 and 35 had been assigned TDA's (Tillered Aerial Ladders) however I know that when Truck 1 received their new one in the early 2000's they were having problems with it and it was sent back to the dealer for work.   Apparently it looks like Truck 35 is using a rear mounted Aerial these days. It appears that San Diego has gone for a more or less standardized fleet of Engines and Trucks which makes things simpler and more cost effective.

I'm sure that there are people on this site that have much more up to date information then I do.

The list vegasbuff has is pretty accurate.  It is true that Trucks 41 & 43 have not been used for awhile.  They were cross-staffed by E41 & E43 and were the Spartan Towers.  

Truck 1's Crimson TDA has seen more time at the dealer and the shops then it has a Station 1.  Coronado has seen a similar problem with their newer Crimson TDA because it has seen a lot of time in the shop as well.  T1 does use the older Tillers as their frontline Truck when the Crimson is not around.  Then when the Tiller is out of service, then a Saulsbury 75' RM runs as T1.

All Pierce Rear Mount Trucks are 105'.  The only non-Saulsbury 75' RM is T21 which has the newer KME.  I believe the Pierce Quint that has seen it's share around the city at 14's, 21's, 35's, 40's, and 44's is being used as a Reserve Truck if I'm not mistaken.  It may just be assigned to Station 40.

The 2012 Pierce 105' RM's assigned as T10, T12, T20, and T28 also have suppression capabilities.  The extended bumpers house two crosslays.  The Trucks have a 500 gpm Hydraulic pump and a 500 gallon tank. They are not qualified as quints, but have more suppression capabilities then the other "True" Truck Companies.

I have seen one Spartan/LTI Tower at the shops within the past 2 years.  From what I've heard, the others and the Pierce Snorkel are no longer around.  I wouldn't be surprised if sometime within the next year that the Saulsbury RM's will be sold as well and be replaced by Truck's 10, 12, 20, 28 old Pierces.  But, San Diego City's Fleet Services are having difficulties keeping their maintenance schedules. The recent strings of brush fires in the County put a strain on the City's fleet due to numerous Type 1 and Type 3 Strike Teams being out of the City.  So ideally, I would assume the older Pierce's would become reserve trucks, but who knows.

T1 - App # 1909 - 2006 Spartan / Crimson 103' TDA

T10 - App # 1978 - 2012 Pierce Arrow XT 500 gpm/ 500 gal / 105' RMA

T11 - App # 1905 - 2005 Pierce Dash 105' RMA

T12 - App # 1979 - 2012 Pierce Arrow XT 500 gpm / 500 gal / 105' RMA

T14 - App # 1930 - 2007 Pierce Dash 105' RMA

T20 - App # 1980 - 2012 Pierce Arrow XT 500 gpm / 500 gal / 105' RMA

T21 - App # 1903 - 2005 KME Predator 1500 gpm / 300 gal / 75' RMA (ex Engine 46)

T28 - App # 1992 - 2012 Pierce Arrow XT 500 gpm / 500 gal / 105' RMA

T29 - App # 1932 - 2007 Pierce Dash 105' RMA

T35 - App # 1904 - 2005 Pierce Dash 2000 gpm / 105' RMA

T40 - App # 1906 - 2005 Pierce Dash 2000 gpm / 105' RMA

T44 - App # 1933 - 2007 Pierce Dash 105' RMA

X T12 - App # 1931 - 2007 Pierce Dash 105' RMA

X T20 - App # 1577 - 2002 Pierce Dash 105' RMA

T903 - App # 1578 - 2002 Pierce Dash 105' RMA

X T28 - App #1579 - 2002 Pierce Dash 105' RMA

T904 - App #1565 - 1997 Spartan / Saulsbury 75' RMA

T905 - App #1566 - 1997 Spartan / Saulsbury 75' RMA

T906 - App # 1545 - 1995 Spartan / Saulsbury 75' RMA

T907 - App # 1544 - 1995 Spartan / Saulsbury 75' RMA

T90? - App # 1538 - 1994 Spartan / LTI 100' TDA

Crimson Truck 1 has been out of service for well over a year from today.  Don't know where it has been, but it is now back at shops and has been there for about a month. Truck 21 now has a dual axal pierce 105' apparatus #1904.  Last post states truck 35 has this number, but as of a couple of days ago truck 21 still shows #1904. Truck 21's 75' KME is no longer in service and is now at training and at NTC.  Truck 28 had a new truck delivered along with trucks 12,20 and 10, but it looks like it has gone back to pierce because it is no longer at shops. Maybe it is at Ontario or Vista.

Thanks for all the information on the San Diego Truck fleet as it's been awhile since I have gotten any up to date information myself. It really appears that San Diego's Truck 1's Crimson is a real Lemon from day 1  as I remember that when San Diego first received in it  had spent much time  back at the dealer possibly the factory.

I hope that San Francisco has more luck with it's Spartan/Erv tillers then San Diego has had with it's Tillered Aerial.

I am impressed with San Diego's fleet of Pierce's and apparently San Diego likes them also as San Diego has been a repeat Pierce customer in recent years  while I understand that the KME Engines are either going back or being given to slower companies.

Sorry to hear that the Pierce Snorkel that been assigned to Truck 14 is no longer around as San Diego was one of a handful of "hold out" fire departments that was still using the Snorkel. I am surprise that one of the Tower Ladders is still around. I wonder it is ever actually still used as an active reserve unit?

Hope Coronado FD is having better success with it's Crimson TDA with pump/tank (T37).  It seems it is in service much of the time, so I think it is working for them.

Oakuhmoto--you sure they were not responding CODE-2 high to city shops?  :o)

Edited by Rescue51

Anyone have an updated list of the of the other front-line  SDFD apparatus?

Heard the other day truck 1 doing a change out. Never heard what apparatus they were changing into. Maybe just a minor problem, but based on the past....who knows. Can't use their old apparatus 1538 for a reserve because it is gone. No longer in the fleet. Looks like truck 28 is in their new apparatus. Also I am not 100% sure, but it looks like they have finally switched all heavy fire apparatus repairs (engines, trucks etc ) to the Miramar Place facility. All others such as BC, utility rigs and autos wii be serviced at the Rose Canyon facility. Don't know what the plans are for the "old repair facility" other than storage for reserve apparatus. This all has to do with "managed competition" which the existing fleet services was awarded at least a year or more ago. The whole process was suppose to have been completed much earlier.

Truck 44 is now assigned Apparatus 1931. Truck 35 is now assigned 1933.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the TDA? I haven't seen that rig more than a few times since my previous post and I work right by the station. The handful of times I did see it back in service it would be gone within what seemed like a week or two. I drove by today and they're currently running 10s old rig (saw the outline of the removed 10 decal).