EMT_FS46

LAFD New Tiller Bid

92 posts in this topic

It's true...if given a choice mechanics prefer a straight beam/leaf spring suspension.  All you have to do is look underneath a rig with TAK-4 and a straight axle to see what they mean.  TAK-4 greatly restricts access to the bottom of the engine and all it's pieces, parts, hoses, etc.   My agency runs nothing but Quantums and they all have straight axles.  Mothership Pierce was quite surprised to hear us not choose their torsion bar wonder and go with an old-school setup but a happy mechanic is a happy life.  

x635 likes this

1965.  the mechanics do have their prefrences  and you are correct most probally prefer straight beam suspension. that being said the mechanics are not the ones driving the rigs on emergency responses thru crowded congested city streets. we all know how the public drives here in so-cal and most engineers will tell you that the tak 4 makes a huge difference

x635 likes this

the bid was just awarded this month, I doubt the rigs have even hit the production line yet. my department ordered 2 engines last September and we have not received them yet. they told us engines are running 7-8 months delivery time and ladders around 10 months. my guess you will not see anything until after the first of the year

Waterguy, it's my understanding that some of the trucks from FY 11-12 and 12-13 weren't built yet from Am. LaFrance.  Will any of the trucks from those orders be carried over to pierce's new contract?

What is Truck 95 running now? I saw there old LTI sitting at the shops with the numbering removed.

All Trucks ordered from American La France have been built and delivered.  There are Trucks to order from FY 12-13 and 13-14 off the new contract.

I was just informed that the LAFD Tiller Trucks has gone out or is going to go to bid again. Apparently there was an issue of some sort with some of the manufactures, someone complained and it has to go to bid again.

Junk

No wonder why pierce never did release any official post about the contract. I wouldn't be surprised if it was KME that complained.

I have heard that this is a unhappy vendor, that was not chosen. anyway the bid process will be investigated by the city, if no mistakes were made and the bid process was followed correctly, then the city can proceed with the award to pierce. if something is wrong with the bids, they all get thrown out and the process starts all over again. keep in mind the city knows who is questioning the bids (not good for them).  this not only cost the city money but time also, so instead of receiving some new trucks in early 2015 you are now looking at late 2015. since we are already in july, if they have to go out to bid, they have to advertise for bids which is usually 30 days or more, open the bids, select a vendor, award the bid , sign a contract and start production . this is not funny if a vendor is doing this just because their feelings are hurt that they did not get picked

It is my understanding that they went to a  rebid with a five day window.

Per the Bid recap, Pierce was the low bidder as compared to KME.  Only two listed.  Pierce came in at  $3.9mm vs $4.008mm for KME.  Both for 4 Tillers.  Additionally, Pierce had a quicker delivery time 300-330 days vs 320-360 days for KME.  Possibly someone other then KME put in the complaint.  Was anyone else bidding on these Tillers?  Possibly a bid that got thrown out?  

Actually I believe I just found the issue.  Per the Bid recap, "KME bid unresponsible due to failure to include Attachment C (Price List)."  Attachment C is the price list for Amercian LaFrance parts.  

If that's the case, then the Rebid might be allowing KME to include Attachment C Pricing into there existing bid.  

*Also EVG and Smeal Fire Apparatus did not submit bids.     

Edited by Seagrave7

LAFD opened up bid offers for the tillers again, yesterday 7/8/14.  Bids are due by 7/21/14.  

with today being the 21st. how long does it take from this point before a contract is awarded?

Unfortunately, every request for bid is different so there is no set time table.  I will say that last time it took a month and half to award the tiller bid.  Hopefully this time it will be quicker as it was re-bid for a specific reason.  

based on the fact that kme forgot to include some pricing for parts on the original bid, one can only assume that their bid is going to be even higher now with the new prices. pierce was the low bidder by a few hundred thousand dollars, but they also had a shorter delivery time on the rigs.the bid will probally be awarded in September and we won't see the new rigs until  at least October- November of 2015

LAFD signed a 10 year contract with Pierce for 70 Pierce XT Tillers. A good friend is at Pierce now doing a accetence testing on his new rig. KME has the contract with the Eng until 2016.

Sounds like the city will be replacing every truck in the department.

Edited by EMT_FS46

Probably a typo. 7 rigs.

Seven Pierce Aerial Tiller Apparatus Purchased By Los Angeles City Fire Department

November 18, 2014

APPLETON, Wis. (November 18, 2014) Pierce Manufacturing Inc., an Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE:OSK) company, has sold seven Pierce® Arrow XT 100-foot heavy-duty aerial tiller apparatus to the Los Angeles City Fire Department (LAFD) in California. These seven apparatus comprise the initial installment of an ongoing 10-year tag on contract.

We are proud and honored to build these exceptional aerial tiller apparatus for the Los Angeles City Fire Department, said Jim Johnson, Oshkosh Corporation executive vice president and president, Fire & Emergency. Aerial tillers, an iconic and highly regarded symbol of the fire service, are enjoying a resurgence in popularity across America due in part to their maneuverability in congested urban areas and through narrow streets. This fleet of rugged Arrow XT tillers is ideally suited to serve on the busy streets of Los Angeles.

South Coast Fire is excited to have in place this 10-year tag on contract enabling departments from across the region to participate under its advantageous terms, said Kevin Newell, South Coast Fire Equipment president. Our commitment is to provide excellent value and unmatched support to departments within Southern California.

Each of the seven Pierce Arrow XT tiller apparatus for LAFD features a Cummins ISX engine, and an overall length less than 56 feet. The cab includes half height doors and seating for five firefighters. All of the vehicles also sport a 100-foot heavy-duty ladder, an aluminum body with front, center and rear compartments, and a full complement of ground ladders.

LAFD is a full-spectrum life safety agency protecting more than four million people who live, work and play in Americas second largest city. The department is staffed by more than 3,200 uniformed fire personnel serving in fire prevention, emergency medical care, technical rescue, hazardous materials mitigation, disaster response, public education and community service.

Pierce dealer, South Coast Fire Equipment of Ontario, California, provides local service and support. Visit www.southcoastfire.net for more information.

http://www.piercemfg.com/en/pierce/news/LA-Tillers.aspx