Rescue51

Cop cuffs fireman in crash site dispute

23 posts in this topic

I am normally very pro-LE almost to a fault.  But this one is bothersome.

The irony of what our nation was supposed to be. Firefighter helping victims of crash with American flag on his yellow turnout arrested by CHP over placement of fire rig. Mr.Chippie is lucky the firefighter complied cuz sometimes you can't draw that Taser quick enough to prevent opponent from placing said Taser in place normally not used for department policy holstering of device. Many LE agencies don't care for CHP who often think they are superior gods to all others. I'd like to see CHP handle much of what SDSO or SDPD must with only a one-man unit at night (unlike CHP). Most officers/deputies understand professional courtesy extended to other first responders: NOT CHP. Maybe when CHP puts out a request for FD because one of their new Ford Explorer Police Interceptors is smoking under the hood, it might take a really long time for first-in pumper and then the engineer will need to get the rig parked just right. The officer from CHP in question needs a big EGO ADJUSTMENT

I can tell you this, if firefighters had not been busy, that CHP officer might have had 5 of them to arrest. I know had I been the fire chief, that CHP officer would need 5 more officers to deal with me before getting cuffs on one of my troops!

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/feb/05/firefighter-chp-handcuffed-freeway

guys, I am not all that fond of chp, had a few run -ins  with them myself. but let's wait for ALL the facts to be published. there is something missing from this report, where was this engineer's captain  , he should have been there defending the engineer. did the officer ask the engineer to re-position the truck nicely, did he have an attitude with the officer,(would not be the first time a firefighter mouthed off to a le officer). I know this pisses a lot of people off, but remember if an officer tells someone to put their hands behind their back and cuffs them , you must comply, it doesn't matter if your a rookie firefighter of a chief officer it's the law  . let's let his play out

In all due respect, I don't think I need to wait for the political spin which will be used to try and polish the facts. The facts reside in a most binary way right in the video from KFMB News 8 and now all over the 'Net. The engineer/firefighter was rendering med aid to patients of a MVA with his pumper protecting all of them and a CHP officer needing an EGO adjustment arrested firefighter putting patients at further risk. I wonder if CHP higher command issued the order? The goal by CHP was not as much about safety as to keep the flow going for motorists. The CHP was very wrong!

I would lawyer up and find out if I had a case. That was so wrong in any situation. Scene safety is #1.

ok guys nobody agree's with what happened , but it did. to put this thing to rest  ca penal code 409.3 states that law enforcement  has the command of the scene no matter what we believe. it most instances the system works and incidents are handled without any hitches. every now and then there will be a le officer that wants to assert his power and this happens. the chula vista fire chief and chp command have have resolved this incident even tho they are not releasing details which tells me there is more to this story, it s all water under the bridge

years ago when i worked for an ambulance company , i was chased down on a code 3 call transporting for LACoFD . this officer pulled us over wanting to know where we going in such a hurry . i explained we were in route to an emergency call . the officer followed us to the sceen . then departed when he saw the fire dept. on sceen and we pulled out our gurney . i have also seen on you tube videos in other states of fire fighters being arrested for this same thing .  i dont get it ! sceen safety is priorty one .  in my opinion the CHP is way out of line. we are all on the same team . the job is dangerous enough with CHP pulling this stunt . why wasnt the CHP helping to secure the sceen to help clear up the TA asap .instead of hasseling the FD .

Edited by old medevac
Rescue51 likes this

I'd be curious whether subject CHP officer and CVFD firefighter-engineer had any prior contact/history. Additionally, did CHP officer receive any directive from higher command to move or arrest engineers for fire rigs they wanted moved?

I don't think he needed a directive from a higher command , the law is on the books and usually officers don't need permission to enforce. there are officers that are by the book people, they have no life and as such study the penal code and motor vehicle code books from front to back, top to bottom and enforce every rule in it. I have seen chp officers pull fire rigs out on company inspection into the roadside inspection sites and go over the rigs with a fine tooth comb.  most le officers get along with fire dept personel   and as such everything flows smoothly. but I am sure there  are officers out there that have an ax to grind with the fd's. something we will just have to deal with when it happens

Rescue51 likes this

it seems to me that the CHP's actions here would be impeding a rescue  yes?  thats against the law as well !!  the road side inspection just blows my mind !    i am not implying that the fd is above the law , there is a time and place for inspections .

a few years back the la county sheriffs captured a presuit bad guy . the chp was also on scene . this was in the sheriffs jursidiction and their bust . the chp argued that it was their arrest . and the 2 departments began arguing who should take the perp to jail . the funny thing is the chp has no holding cells at their station here in santa clarita . they book all prisoners at the LASD station . to continue  both departments got into a very heated argument. from what i was told by a deputy they almost came to blows . i am still not sure who took the guy to jail ! so captians from both departments also got into it . finally sheriff baca and the chp top guy had to step in .  the prisoner must have been freaking out . no one got hurt .  true story !

Rescue51 likes this

I've talked to 3 SDPD friends all retired in the last 10 years.  All of them said without hesitation the CHP officer's actions of arresting the Chula Vista FD engineer, was ridiculous and out-of-line.  One former Station-A guy said "problem with CHP is they act like gods and think they own everyone else."  I know that is not true for all CHP officers.  Hopefully some too-assertive CHP officers will get more humble out of the incident.

And now very sadly I must report today near Fresno, 2 CHP officers lost their lives in the same cruiser that rolled over.  They were responding to another crash and believe made a turn opposite direction and may have swerved to avoid debris or another vehicle involved in the prior crash.  I had also read in the CHP CAD from Fresno in the 0400+ hr, fog alert logged.  CHP's MAIT is on-scene and the roadway expected to be closed all day. Crash happened in 0600 hr.

no matter what disagreements we all have the chp is still part of the team . thoughts and best to their families !

If they are part of the "team" then a particular officer (and any others willing to imitate him), better shape up or ship out to another line of work, not part of the team, when they are willing to arrest firefighters/medics (team members) doing patient triage/care at a serious MVA, all over where a fire rig is positioned.  Honestly, I don't see that arresting CHP officer as a team player.

not condoning the actions of the chp in the treatment of the cvfd  . i still believe the chp is way out of line !   i dont like to see lodd deaths

Hi "old medevac" and I agree 100%.  As the good Sergeant Phil Esterhaus from Hills Street Blues use to say at end of roll call: "Hey, let's be careful out there."  The majority of CHP officers are greats guys/gals.  The one who arrested the CVFD engineer was out of line but I am sure he reflects on that now and will keep his ego in-check on the next one.  I still am not sure perhaps IF THERE WERE any other prior run-ins between the subject officer and FF and they just did not like each other.  Don't know.  If a cop is in trouble, it will be a firefighter who will jump in and help him/her, and vice versa.

copy that ! an ego has no business on a tc !   along time ago i was working with a female partner ,we were dispached to a maternity call when we got their the woman went by private auto . on my way out i stopped a shoplifter and wrestled him to the ground and  my partner radioed a help call . i worked for a private ambulance company . but what came to my aide blew my mind . i had chp, pd sheriff and fire and fellow ambulance co. all show up ! so even us privates were part of the brotherhood . i sure was happy to see all that backup . dont know what she said but the calvary showed up ! fire engines truck co's  and ambulances and cop cars  i walked out of the store and it looked like a convention of ems! we may argue amungest ourselves , but we all watch out for each other !  and thats cool!

Nice catch and account Old Medevac.  Not long ago a Santee fire captain called for "code cover" and everyone was rolling. The BC came up on radio and was rolling and got there about the same time as SDSO.  I heard by the time the suspect had been Taser'd, about 8 patrol units were there with others rolling including CHP and ECPD into the Santee City area SDSO is on contract for.  Same for any officer in trouble, I know the FF's and EMT's out there would help in a heartbeat. 

I have heard information that I have not seen reported. It is still hearsay so consider this to still be rumor. I don't know if the accident was north or southbound so let's assume northbound. The engine where the engineer was detained had parked in the number 1 lane of the southbound 805. It was not apart of the accident scene but was causing a hazard on the southbound side. The CHP officer asked the engineer 3 times to move the engine because it was a hazard to the southbound traffic. I don't know why the engineer did not comply. I can still see egos involved and it never should have escalated to the point of the engineer being detained but it happened. I can at least somewhat understand the officer's frustration.

Rescue51 likes this

Thanks for that information "Generic."  I too heard that.  My understanding was most the scene was in the center divide.  Multiple agencies responded to the incident (SDFD and Chula Vista FD).  Maybe there was confusion about which direction the TC was and the engineer in question (likely with the captain's concurring) stopped the rig from the direction they accessed the scene from to best start patient triage/care and fire prevention.  Many agencies do the turn-around going to next off-ramp and coming back in direction of the TC.  Recall that limo fire in San Mateo, my understanding was a fire rig (I believe it *MAY* have been a truck without pump/tank) would have arrived much sooner had they stopped in center divide, got CHP to stop traffic, and then accessed scene where limo was on RH side.  This would be a hazardous situation and was likely too late in game to affect any rescue/lifesaving of those women who burned up in limo cabin.   My point is simply that if a fire rig has to do the turn to get back into the right direction, then get stuck in the stop-and-go traffic, this can make the difference if someone is bleeding out, or a vehicle is catching on fire. 

it is always better to go to the next exit and make the turnaround, that is protocol in most depts. here in orange county and is done for a number of safety reasons  1 . most of the newer rigs are 100 inches wide or more with full length doors  which means you need to be off the wall at least 2-3 feet on the engineers side in order to exit the rig.this will put the rig not only in one lane but partially into another. 2 . your captain and ff on that side need to exit into traffic. 3  you do not have any protection for your ff's treating the patients on the opposite side, I don't trust a chp or pd cruiser blocking traffic. most depts. in the oc run duel response so you will have 1 unit each direction this allows the other unit to make the turnaround without delay in treatment

Rescue51 likes this