EMT_FS46

LAPD pursuit shooting 12/13/2013

6 posts in this topic

LAPD (Los Angeles Police Dept.) will soon be facing yet another lawsuit for another unjustified officer involved shooting. I'm sure some of us here in L.A. watched the pursuit live on the news. The man was shot by LAPD after he crashed his car trying to run away. It is clear that the man was no threat and unarmed. The chase started with the Los Angeles County Sheriffs Dept. in Cudahay. Sheriffs deputies had abandoned the pursuit due to the speed and the man's driving but was still being tracked by a police helicopter. CHP (California Highway Patrol) join in as the men entered Huntington Park but as well backed off the pursuit. Once he entered the City of Los Angeles the LAPD began to pursuit the suspect. They chased him through South L.A. and into Downtown where the man t-boned another car causing a crash. the man still tried to drive his car but once realized it was disabled got out and tried to run when he was shot multiple times. The mad later died from being shot by LAPD.  

Now my thing is being a tax payer once again I am going to be the one paying for another one of LAPD's screw ups. I know their job is not easy but clearly the LAPD is in the wrong on this one. If two other departments gave up the chase why did LAPD decide to pursue the man. For the most part the man was obeying traffic laws until he was getting chase which resulted in a accident. I personally feel that cops need to be better trained of when to use their firearms and that the man did not deserve to be murdered by the police as for many people in other officer involved shootings.

For those of you who did not see it you can view it on youtube. Please read this, view the video and give me your thoughts on the whole situation.

That was a gnarly chase EMT_FS46, but you had to be in the shoes of the officers and of the DUI suspect. I watched the entire live coverage from beginning to end and there were some flaws to that. Let me break this down step by step. One was that the news reporters on the stations keep on saying this should of been a routine stop by sheriff's deputy in Cudahay. Two, was that sheriff's deputies deployed out a spike strip to end the pursuit but those tires on that Corvette are made out of a run flat material that the military has on their vehicles overseas. Three, once this suspect got into the South L.A. area, CHP tried to pull him over and that's when LAPD hopped into the pursuit to apprehend the suspect but failed. Four, LAPD at that time had multiple saturation patrols occurring in the area. Five, when LAPD had multiple units following the suspect he got more hinky and decided he wanted to run from LAPD. And lastly when the last two minutes of the pursuit LAPD decided to fall back but the silver Corvette t-boned that other vehicle at Los Angeles Street and Olympic Ave.,  officers where barking orders at the suspect to stop but when they saw him reaching around his waistband, the officer first reaction is to shoot to disable the suspect. If this was a good shoot the City of Los Angeles and it's taxpayers don't have to pay a dime in this in a criminal trial, but in a civil matter WE as TAXPAYERS have to wait and see what is going to happen because this is still under investigation by LAPD, The office of council general, city council, CHP, and LASD.

Edited by LAfan26

fs46, no lawsuit here, assault with a deadly weapon x3 , felony evading  a police officer, failure to yield during a pursuit, a felony, driving on the opposite side of the road at a high rate of speed  felony , and way too many misdeminor to name 

I've watched the video and while I have not seen a weapon (other than the vehicle perp crashed) it does appear as though perp's hands motion in a way as he exits vehicle, as though he could be grabbing a weapon.  My other question is why he retreats to his back position from car, running to the trunk and around other side, and not why suspect did not run away forward from driver's side to front.  It almost looked like he was running to place car between him and officers for any kind of firing position.  My other key question is since there were multiple agencies involved, did LAPD get any kind of communication that suspect said he had weapon or was known to carry one, or made any threats against officers?

I did hear chatter Monday that one officer may have fired a bean bag projectile and the other officers were not aware of that, and the blast noise caused other officers to assume "shots fired."  

Edited by Rescue51

The suspect was a 51 year old VET of the National Guard with mental illness. He also was allegedly drunk at the time. A source has told me that a officer fired a non-lethal bean bag round at the suspect but did not tell fellow officers. once they heard the bang they thought they were being shot at and returned fire killing the man.