41engine41

LAcoFD squads and Auto MVAs

4 posts in this topic

It is my understanding that the squads provide an auto extrication capability at MVAs, carrying extrication tools as part of their equipment.

A couple of questions, is this all the squads, or just the 'heavy' squads, what kind of extrication tools are carried, and which squads have the capability for auto extrication?

May thanks

JG

I believe the squads that carry extrication gear are in the areas where the Truck or Quint would have an extended ETA.

Taken from http://www.code2high.com/faq.htm

"There is pretty much one heavy paramedic squad per division with a few exceptions. It pretty much looks the same as a regular squad, except it has more supplies on it. I has the triage tarps, more backboards, more medical supplies and auto injectors than the regular squads. These heavy squads are the normal squads at Fire Stations 19,21,29,31,36,37,47,50,54,68,111,118,129,151 and 172."

Looking at County's response matrices, heavy squads will respond to major rescue T/Cs as well as T/Cs involving buses. This is I'm guessing if the incident didn't occur in the heavy squad's first in.